There’s a few things you need to know how to do with fractions.
To simplify a fraction just divide the top and bottom by common factors until you can’t go any further.
So 24/30 = 12/15 = 4/5
These have a whole number (integer) and a fraction. Improper fractions are fractions where the top number (numerator) is bigger than the bottom number (denominator).
- Converting Improper Fractions to Mixed Fractions
To convert an improper fraction to a mixed fraction, follow these steps:
- Divide the numerator (top number) by the denominator (bottom number).
- Write down the whole number answer.
- Then write down any remainder above the denominator.
So 35/6 = 5 5/6
- Writing Mixed Numbers As Improper Fractions
- Multiply the whole number part by the fraction’s denominator.
- Add that to the numerator
- Then write the result on top of the denominator.
- Multiply 5 x 4 = 20
- Add 20 to 3 = 23
- Write this number over 4. So the answer is 23/4
MultiplyingEasy! Just multiply the top and bottom separately.
So 3/4 x 2/3 = 6/12 = 1/2
*Remember to simplify at the end*Dividing
Just turn the second fraction upside down and multiply the two together.
So 2/3 ÷ 3/4 = 2/3 x 4/3 = 8/9
If you want to easily compare fractions then just put them over the same denominator.
If you were asked whether 8/5 or 6/4 is bigger you would:
- Change the bottom numbers to a common multiple
- Whatever you have to times the bottom by to get this number, do the same to the top
and 6/4 becomes 30/20So you know 8/5 is bigger than 6/4.Adding and Subtracting
Make sure the denominators are the same (like above). Then add or subtract the numerators.
So 1/2 + 1/4 = 2/4 + 1/4 = 3/4
Finding A Fraction of Something
Just multiply it by the numerator, then divide by the denominator.
So 5/8 of 120 = (120 x 5) ÷ 8 = 600 ÷ 8 = 75